Friday, November 14, 2008

The world of Recording

So i know nothing about economics or government but i do know about recording so i'll write about that.

So I have started the process of building a small home studio. No doubt this will take a long time to fully complete but I have a nice little up. Below is a list of what I use

MOTU MIDI interface 8x8
Presonus Firestudio 8x8
Yamaha p-90
Alesis Micron
Mac Book Pro with Logic
and a couple of guitars and a bass guitar.
I also am using my roommates Microphone

So yesterday I finished a song. it took me a 5 or 6 hours to write and record. Its up at my myspace and its called Ashley's Song. There are a few things that i did that i am proud of. (1) i recorded a tambourine through the mic. I then took the tambourine and put reverb on it and then ran it through the Bit Crusher. I then EQ it so the low-mid range frequencies were boosted. It sounds more like a washing machine but with a more definite pulse. I really am proud of this sound. (2) I recorded a clean guitar ( yes jay i did play the guitar ) through the line channel. I then reverbed it and used a tape delay and turn it low in the mix and panned it left.

I did a couple of other things with panning and reverbs and delays also. There is a couple questions for you smart people out there. (1) What is a key (There are two answers to this one)? What is the meter of the song?

1 comment:

Jay said...

I can't pick out the tambourine, but I can hear the guitar and the effects you put on it. Now I feel like I've been challenged with your questions at the end. As for meter, my first guess was 6/8 but I think I'll put my chips on 3/4, except for the fact that its probably not that simple of a time signature to figure out if you asking. As for keys, I will look into it next time I have my guitar in hand.

Also, every time I hear your "silence is" song I instantly think of me tuning and grabbing a drink of water between songs as you play that beautiful line that leads into my favorite POL song, Bivouac.